Have you ever received a dental crown? You might recall that the process took at least two dental appointments spaced out over a couple of weeks. Between the appointments, you had to put up with a temporary crown. Today, advances in dental technology have made it possible for dentists to create a permanent crown in a much shorter period of time. In fact, you may be the proud owner of a CEREC crown in Northborough after just a single visit to your local dental practice. In this blog post, we will talk more about CEREC technology and what you can expect from it.
How CEREC Works: An Overview
CEREC is an acronym that stands for Chairside Economical Restorations of Esthetic Ceramics. Here is a basic overview of how this remarkable technology works:
- After your dentist prepares your tooth to receive the crown, they use a scanner to create a digital impression of it and the surrounding dentition
- With the help of advanced software, your dentist designs the crown
- A ceramic milling unit uses your dentist’s design to carve the crown out of a single block of high-quality dental porcelain
- Your dentist verifies that the crown is an excellent fit for your tooth before they use a bonding agent to secure it in place
How Long Does It Take?
As mentioned above, the CEREC process can take place in a single appointment. Most patients do not have to spend more than a couple of hours in the dental office. You can spend part of that time relaxing in the office’s waiting room while the machine fabricates the crown.
It is fine if you would rather not wait around the office while the crown is made. Ask your dental team if you can schedule a second brief appointment later in the day. In the meantime, you will be free to run errands or go back home to be with your family.
Additional Advantages of CEREC Crowns
Certainly, a CEREC crown can save you time. However, that is not where the benefits of this treatment end. Additional advantages include:
- CEREC crowns are durable and have the potential to last for 10 years or longer as long as they receive proper care
- They eliminate the need for a temporary crown
- The high-quality materials used to make CEREC crowns means that they are very natural-looking
- The cost of CEREC crowns is comparable to traditional crowns that are made out of similar materials, and insurance usually covers them
- The digital scanning process means that your dentist does not have to take impressions using goopy, uncomfortable materials
Do you need a new crown? Visiting a dentist who has invested in CEREC technology can save you time and spare you from hassle.
Meet the Practice
Northborough Dental Associates features a team of three talented dentists, all of whom are committed to helping patients experience comfortable, efficient treatment. CEREC is one of the advanced technologies we use. To learn more about CEREC crowns or our practice, reach out to us at 508-466-7091.